About Mental Health Services in WA

About Mental Health Services in WA

Click here to search for mental health services in your area

Click here to download the accessible version of this webpage

Community based mental health services are located throughout the metropolitan area and in country locations. These providers have professional staff including psychiatrists, social workers, mental health nurses, clinical psychologists and occupational therapists to provide assessment, diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and ongoing support.

Accessing Services

In many cases, the first step in accessing services for treatment of a mental health condition will be a consultation with a General Practitioner (GP). Before consulting a GP it’s important to ask the receptionist to book a longer or double appointment, so there is plenty of time to discuss your situation without feeling rushed. It is also best to raise your concerns about your mental health problems early in the consultation. You don’t need a referral from a GP or psychiatrist to see a psychologist. However, you’ll need a Mental Health Treatment Plan from a GP to claim rebates through Medicare.

Your GP can:

  • listen to your concerns and make a diagnosis
  • check for any physical health problem or medication that may be contributing to a mental health condition such as depression or anxiety
  • discuss available treatment options
  • work with you to write a Mental Health Treatment Plan
  • provide brief counselling or in some cases, psychological therapy
  • prescribe medication as required
  • refer you to a mental health specialist, such as an allied health professional (psychologist, social worker or occupational therapist) or psychiatrist.

Community services / organisations, government and non-government agencies can refer people to mental health services. The referral can be completed by a social worker, psychiatrist, case worker or other service professional. In addition to this, family and friends can also refer you these services, or you can refer yourself.

Types of support available

There are many options for community-based mental health support. These include:

  • Psychologist services and counselling
  • residential mental health facilities
  • recreation programs
  • alcohol and drug counselling
  • relationship counselling and conflict resolution
  • Suicide prevention
  • Peer support programs
  • Trauma and grief treatments
What service providers can I access?

There are a number of service providers in WA, all providing varied mental health services and programs. Some programs will have eligibility criteria or you many need a referral from your GP or registered psychologist. Other programs can be accessed via self-referral or referral from family or friends.




Additional Contacts

WA Department of Health – Mental Health Service Finder

Government of Western Australia – Mental Health Commission

Emergency services and help line information

Call 000 in an emergency if you feel someone is at risk of harm.

OR for mental health emergency assessment, support and referral, contact:

  • Mental Health Emergency Response Line (MHERL) Metro callers 1300 555 788 Peel 1800 676 822
  • RuralLink Rural and remote areas 1800 552 002
  • Find your nearest public hospital emergency department
  • Find your GP after-hours clinic
  • Call after hours GP Helpline on 1800 022 222

If you need someone to talk to

  • beyondblue – 1300 224 636
  • Crisis Care Helpline – 9223 1111 or Country Toll Free 1800 199 008
  • headspace – 1800 650 890
  • Kids Helpline – 1800 551 800
  • Lifeline – 13 11 14
  • Men’s Line Australia – 1300 789 978
  • Reachout – online youth mental health service
  • Suicide Call Back Service – 1300 659 467
  • The Samaritans Crisis Line – 9381 5555, Youth Line 9388 2500 or Country Toll Free 1800 198 313
  • Youthbeyondblue – 1300 224 636